發新話題
打印

菲白石義診

菲白石義診

A bright opening to the new year

Tzu Chi-Philippines has designated each Tuesday for a mobile dental clinic. Volunteers and dentists from TIMA visited impoverished and disabled people in the Manila district, Isla Puting Batao. Among those they came to serve was one who had already received Tzu Chi's charity - amputee Freddie Manzanes. An ex-convict who killed four men, Freddie has now given up his evil ways to learn kindness and forgiveness.
慈濟菲律賓分會固定在星期二進行牙科巡迴往診,慈濟志工和人醫會醫師來到馬尼拉的白石島,其中一位是曾經受到慈濟幫助、順利截去化膿腐爛小腿的費迪;費迪曾經殺害四條人命,現在他改邪歸正、重新向善。

< Isla Puting Batao - half a year later >
In June of last year, Typhoon Fengshen led Tzu Chi volunteers to the impoverished Manila community of Isla Puting Batao; this week, they visited again -- this time to look after the residents' teeth.

"We are the Tzu Chi foundation!"

Hoping to serve any who might need it, volunteers move through these ramshackle streets and alleys heralding their coming clinic. In time, they arrive at an old friend's house.

< A bittersweet gift >
Freddie is a Tzu Chi care recipient; sadly, his leg required amputation, but it has healed well. Freddie has not forgotten; in his home he has a picture of Master Cheng Yen, and when he sees the blue-and-white uniforms, he pulls from his tiny home a gift: a wooden boat he has made himself.

Long ago, Freddie killed four men, for which he was imprisoned. Yet with Tzu Chi's guidance, now he is learning the value of kindness, and life. The boat - fashioned after Tzu Chi's emblem - is his message of thanks.

< Giving as one may >
He feels it is the only thing he has to give.

Care recipient, Freddie Manzanes:
"Although it's not perfect, with my whole heart I want the Master to have it."

The volunteers usher Freddie off to the clinic, where 48 people are waiting. One is Leticia Javier; 20 years ago, she had a bad experience with a dentist. She was so frightened that that she has never gone back - until today.

Patient, Leticia Javier:
"The doctors' touch was very light. It didn't hurt. She was very skillful - I didn't feel even the slightest pain."

< A time both for receiving and giving >
Besides fearing the pain, these patients also have no money to pay for treatment. Even so, their spirits are rich; hearing of Tzu Chi's arrival, victims of last year's Fengshen Typhoon have arrived with bamboo banks, to donate in service to others.

Isla Puting Bato resident, Gilda Zaragosa:
"I waited a long time for Tzu Chi to come. I didn't know where to go to find them. Now I've got the opportunity, so I came to give back to Tzu Chi."

Good will requires only that we act; every contribution counts, and personal favors may build into universal love. It is a fortune we all share, no matter how poor.

去年六月的風神颱風,把慈濟志工引領到馬尼拉、貧窮的白石島社區,這個星期他們又回來了,這次是來照顧他們的牙齒。

「我們是慈濟基金會。」

不遺漏任何一個需要看牙的人,慈濟志工走進窮街陋巷告訴大家這個消息、來到了一位老朋友的房子。

費迪是慈濟的照顧戶,很不幸的,他的右腳曾經截肢,不過傷口已經復原。費迪並沒有忘記,他家有一張證嚴法師的法相;看到藍天白雲的到來,他從小小的家中拿出了一個禮物、他親手製作的小木船。

費迪曾經因為殺害四條人命而入獄,在慈濟人的幫助下,他學到了慈悲與生命的真義;這艘小木船照著慈濟的法船做的,是他感恩的方式,這是他所能做的最大回報。

Care recipient, Freddie Manzanes:
「雖然說不是很美,但這木船是我衷心要送給師父的。」

慈濟志工帶著費迪來看牙,這次總共有48位待診,其中的樂蒂夏20年前曾有過不好的看牙經驗,她嚇到了,直到現在都不敢去看牙。

Patient, Leticia Javier:
「醫師的手很輕,我沒有感到痛;她很厲害,我沒有感到一點點痛。」

除了怕痛,當然也是因為沒錢看牙,雖然如此,他們卻有著豐富心靈;去年在風神颱風受創的災民一聽到慈濟人到來,特別拿著竹筒來到現場,要把這份心意送給需要的人。

Isla Puting Bato resident, Gilda Zaragosa:
「我等慈濟人很久了,因為我不知道要到那裡找慈濟人,現在我有這機會遇上,我就把竹筒還給慈濟人。」

把善念化為行動,每一份心都很重要,小愛也能化成大愛,不管多貧困,也可以是有福的人。     

http://www.newdaai.tv/?view=detail&id=52715

發新話題